Sunday, December 04, 2005

Beginnings

I have decided to finish my Ph.D., which means I need to write a dissertation. Since my dissertation will be about using blogging to teach writing, I thought it only made sense to write the dissertation in a blog. I hope that this will be my only metapost. After this, only drafts of the dissertation will appear.

Feedback is not only welcome, but encouraged. My goal is to finish this disseration by May of 2006. Technically, I have until August, but I always like to have some buffer. My other goal is to finish. Period. Sure, it'd be great to have a book-quality dissertaion. Sure, it would be great to be a pioneer in some small area or another. But those are not my goals. Once I'm finished I can work on those. I have a job that I like. The degree is for me.

All that being said, welcome, and I hope you enjoy the ride.

10 comments:

RageyOne said...

Congrats! on getting this up and running. Sounds like an interesting topic! Can't wait to read more.

The Bailiff said...

Yeah! Can't wait to "read all about it," as they say.

New Kid on the Hallway said...

Hey! Cool to see this! I doubt I'll have any useful feedback whatsoever, but I'll definitely be cheering you on (and if I come up with any comments that seem remotely useful I'll certainly share them).

Heather Pang said...

Good luck. You can do this. And as a teacher who uses blogs (only a little, but it is growing) to encourage "discussion" of history outside my 8th grade classroom, I am going to be reading to find out what you have to say, not just to encourage you to finish (but that too, the best dissertation, as one of my advisors reminded me often, is a finished dissertation).

Scrivener said...

Hooray! Welcome to the ranks of the dissertating bloggers.

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I'm virtually cheering for you.

Dr Vegeta

Pink Cupcake said...

Congratulations on starting your dissertation blog, and good luck with it all! Like the others, I'll be cheering you on all the way... :)

Phantom Scribbler said...

I'm here! It looks like it will be a fascinating ride.

My husband has been considering incorporating blogging into the classroom, so I'm going to drag him over here, too.

academic coach said...

May 2006. Great. Go for it.

If you need to hire a coach, I can refer you to someone wonderful.
(My own practice is full and I don't coach friends.)

New Online Poker Rooms said...

Unsuccessful idea