Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Getting there: For this afternoon

1. Add in the two articles on blogging at the college level.
2. Chapter outline.
  1. History and Nature of Blogging
    1. History
    2. current state of blogging
  2. Pedagogical foundations
    1. Cogitive learning theories
    2. Constructivism
    3. Connectivism/Emergent Pedagogy
  3. The class
    1. Purpose and foundations
    2. Audience
    3. Revision
  4. Missteps--what I'd do differently and why
  5. Future work?
The above outline is very shaky. I just had to get it out of my head. I'm not entirely sure how I want to organize this stuff. I guess in a social science dissertation, one would put the theory/hypothesis followed by methodology followed by results and then conclusions. But this isn't really social science. It's English. So I'm not sure. It's a place to start, though.

3 comments:

rzklkng said...

Howdy...I've been thinking about writing a book on this subject, and I'd be happy to help.

I think before examining blogging, you really have to look at it's predecessors, from caves walls, to bathroom stalls, to "slam books", diaries, and 'zines. From there you can move on the the writing for self (introspective) and writing for others (exhibitionistic). You would also look into who the consumer of that "stuff" is, basically a voyeuristic component.

Laura said...

There will some stuff about predecessors, but I'm working blogging into a pretty specfic field of composition pedagogy. What you're suggesting is interesting to me but not exactly where I'm planning to go. I'm mostly going to be focusing on the networked and public aspects of blogging as important components of new ways of teaching writing. Also, I want to move away from writing for the self and I've seen some work on using blogs as introspective writing. I don't think that's where blogs will have the biggest impact on education.

rzklkng said...

A good place to look at such things might be to look at forums to see where groups problem solve or answer a question.

If you look at a blog-slash-community type site like dKos, when there's somekind of research going on, it's more like people talking at each other, not necessarily sharing knowledge.

If you look at forums, especially of the "how-to" variety, you can see the back-and-forth that goes along with learning and knowledge transfer.

Two resources I'd suggest: Metafilter - any thread with a lot of comments that isn't political, and browse the forums linked to via big-boards.com. Think of each thread starter as a blog post, with the thread of comments being like the comments on a blog.