Sunday, April 02, 2006

Audience chapter parts

Here are some thoughts about how to organize this chapter. (No, I haven't started actually writing yet; I'm thinking.)

What is a "real" audience?
  • classical rhetorical view of audience and what current practicioners think of that
  • the invoked or fictionalized audience--how real is that? how does it fit with a real audience?
Teaching with an audience
  • why some teachers think a "real" audience is important
    • cognitive research about audience construction
  • ways teachers have tried to get a "real" audience
The web and audience
  • in what ways is a web audience "real"
  • issues with a web audience
  • audience vs. community
Possibly some examples from the blog

I think it's shaping up.

2 comments:

SRH said...

I am clearly not as well versed in the analyses of learning and teaching as you are, so be kind in your response, if you choose to respond. That being said...

I think your last two points ("issues with a web audience" and "audience vs. Community")have a good bit of meat to them.

I have noticed since starting my blog a while ago, that I have consistently gotten the same set of people over time viewing my posts. This consistency of a relatively few readers seems to create a warped kind of community. The blog tends to move the performer/audience relationship into a kind of guided community.

This, of course, only happens when comments are accepted on the blog. On the blogs where no comments are allowed, the writer/reader relationship is pretty well preserved.

In what field are you getting your Phd? I can see many different potential feilds of study associated with your choice of dissertation topic. Just curious.

Laura said...

srh, thanks for your comment. What you say makes a lot of sense. I, too, have a kind of community going. I'm thinking about the way that many classes put a blog site up just for the class with the idea of creating a community. But that only goes so far. Once people get used to the community, they no longer treat it as an audience. Sometimes they don't even do that at the beginning because they know the people they're writing to. With a blog open to the public and with open comments, one might have a little of both at work. There may be a sense of community either from the regular visitors to the site or from the class members, but there are always outsiders coming in letting you know you have an audience.

By the way, my dissertation is in composition and rhetoric, but I'm hoping that its conclusions might be applied across any discipline interested in incorporating more writing into courses.